Thursday, October 21, 2010

Week Ten (10/21/2010) Journal


Saturday Oct. 23rd 2010, we went to the 27th annual Bar B’Que festival in Lexington with one of the mentor families by name Ms. Beth Parrot and her husband. This year’s celebration is on the team ‘Racing’ so sand was used to create an artifact of pigs racing with a car as a symbolism of the celebration. We walk around downtown Lexington and saw all what were on display at the festival and other activities, such as life band music performed by some famous artist of this great city. We saw lots of artifacts of pigs which were decorated to signified  that the festival is celebrated in honor of the city’s being the best and extra ordinary maker of Bar B’ Que in the State and the U.S.A. as a whole. There were over hundred thousand people in attendance and lots of restaurant participating in the festivals make all kinds of Bar B’ Que with other dishes from pork.  There was a U.S naval army on attendance trying to use the opportunity to recruit people into the army and I was lucky to participate in one of the recruitment exercise which earns me a U.S naval branded cap.
We were then taken to the mentor family’s house in the afternoon where we had the Bar B’ Que dinner with her whole family, this makes it very interesting to me because it gave us another opportunity to interact with them and share something’s we all have in common.
Sunday, Oct 31st 2010, was a day set aside in celebrating festival in the U.S called the ‘HALLOWEEN’ signifying the beginning of darkness and also the return of the dead to the earth (saint day) as the believe of some religious denominations. This make people dressed in scary, funny costume and wear mask with the view that should the dead/ghost returned then they are not going to be identified since they looks like the ghost itself.  Children’s were also dressed in these costumes and they move door to door asking for what is termed as ‘trick or treat’ meaning you either gave them candies or they trick you with your courtyard being made dirty by throwing all kinds of stuffs that are used in the celebration.
In my anticipation for the day, I returned home from a Halloween dinner organized by a member from Church of Christ for Akua and me and waited in my room with my candies hoping someone will knock at my door for trick or treat but to no avail. Well it is good to celebrate this as a way of making the children have fun however some religious denominations associated this festival with evil spirit and therefore banned their children and congregation from these fun activities.
Friday, Oct. 29th 2010, a lady who is a DCCC staff picks up for shopping at Wal-Mart in Thomasville, whilst I went in to do my shopping she was in the car with the engine running and the air conditioning and radio on waiting for me. When I returned, she told me her car just stop running and will not start again, well she at that time it was almost 7:30 pm and darkness was in already and I could not see anything then I remembered I just bought a small flash light so I went to open the hood and allow her start again for me to see. After thorough diagnosis with the knowledge about car I was able to isolate the problem because at that time I don’t have any tool or instrument. I requested she bought a new battery and we went in to get a new battery right from wal-Mart to replace the old one and then the car start without any problem. I was excited about this because this was the first task or problem I have solved alone without any assistance and I’m proud of myself.

1 comment: