Thursday, September 30, 2010

Week Seven (9/30/2010) Journal


Thursday 30th Sept. 2010, I really enjoyed the discursion we had at our Global leadership class especially during the activity session where we were divided into groups representing senators and house of representative of the U.S government to propose a bill for an amendment into the U.S constitution. It was a moment where each of us has the opportunity to think as a future global leader and make a decision and I really like this activity. It’s really a privilege for me to learn about the U.S government especially the supreme law of the country, the constitution. I am learning a lot from this class which is changing the perception I had about this country in my Ghana before my arrival in the U.S. They must be commended for keeping and respecting the constitution until this time with only few amendments.
Saturday 2nd Oct. 2010, I went on a campus tour of the University of North Carolina, Greensboro with my mentor. We toured the whole campus buildings and finally end up in their six storey library building. My mentor happens to be alumni of the UNCG so the tour was very interactive as she explains everything to me. In the same evening, we went to watch a soccer game between UNCG Spartans and Elon University college soccer team. Both teams played creditably and at the end of the ninety minutes of action, the scores remains zero zero  however Elon finally carries the day with one goal in the 17th minutes of the extra times.
I like both the tour and the soccer match because I learnt a lot about UNCG as a college which was formerly for only girls and soccer happens to be my favorite sport so it was a moment of joy for me.
Monday 4th Oct. 2010, Akua and I were taken to the Dixie Classic fair in the Winston Salem by the pastor of the Thomasville church of Christ. Surprisingly goats, sheep, cows, fowls,  watermelon and so many other animals and fruit were not left out in the fair as the sheep and the goats were prepared by cutting their fur for the good looking animal contest, the cows were ready for the large milk quantity contest. Sweet potatoes were also decorated and pigs were arranged for a race in which the winner gets food. Well, I just wonder how those pigs knew they are to compete for food by running.
We participated in a lot of activities at the fair some of which includes the bumper car, roller coaster, top spin etc., etc. It was a time full of fun and memories for me because as I leave here next year I don’t know when and where exactly I would get such opportunity again.

No comments:

Post a Comment